Guest Announcements

Happy Holidays

Health of OUR club

Club-related info, Q&A, etc.

Health of OUR club

Postby Meierznutz » November 12th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I am going to toss this out here folks.... I have seen a decline of the use of the forum lately. Is this an indicator of the health of our club? Has the "Forum Age" come to an end? Is it just a lack of new/interesting posts that garner responses on the forum?

I fully accept that I have not been to any events this year as I have not had a Miata that was running (I don't think you all want my big stupid truck chasing you around the backroads on the poker run) but I do stay in touch through the forum on a regular basis.

So back to topic.... is our club healthy and thriving but with a host of people that "Lurk" behind the screen without participating on line? I'm not complaining or pointing fingers in any way... I just want to know if there is an issue to discuss, perhaps at the next meeting?
"In terms of power to weight, I don't want a SUPERCAR, I want a STUPID-CAR!"

Meier's Drop & Run Saloon and Auto Repair is open. Feel free to stop in.
Meierznutz

Re: Health of OUR club

Postby 3miataFamily » November 13th, 2017, 9:36 am

things go in cycles...club has been thru lulls in forum use in the past...
3miataFamily

Postby PeteD » November 25th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Hey Chris, I feel that forum use could be an indicator of club health, just as the air temp could be an indicator of whether its a good day for a top-down drive. By itself, it may be misleading, so it needs to be taken together with other factors for an accurate reading.

With regard to club health, I'd also consider:
  • the size of the club (growing? shrinking? are new members joining replace old or sample people for the last 20 years?)
  • the demographics of club members (some folks may not use forums)
  • the number of recent events
  • participation in recent events (is it the same core of folks or do different people come to different events?)
  • time of year (now that summer is over, maybe people have turned their attention to other things)
Does anyone in the club keep track of this kind of info?
-- Pete

white '94; 140hp & 122ft*lbs NA --> only memories now
red '93; SC'd --> object of affection
PeteD

Postby Jckrbt » November 25th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Guys,
You seem so interested in the club, yet I don’t see either one of you getting involved.
The club is looking for an events coordinator at the moment, why don’t you step up?
If you were to show up to a monthly meeting you would know exactly how many members there are, along with the financials and any other club issues / happenings.
By the way, our secretary emails everyone in the club minutes of the monthly meeting. There is good information in the minutes for those interested in the health of our club.
I too am concerned for the heath of the club and have stepped up by providing a few event rides this year. It would would be great to see a few more seasoned club members volunteer to lead an event.
How about it?

Dan
Jckrbt

Postby PeteD » November 26th, 2017, 8:06 am

Hi Dan, I participate in club activities to the extent I can balancing other priorities and activities in my life. Sometimes that means all I can do is make a quick post on the forum. Other times I can do more - like hosting a ride.

The monthly meeting minutes from Jim are great and the most practical way for me to stay in touch with the administrative side of the club.
-- Pete

PeteD

Postby QuattroGuy » November 27th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Facebook is killing online forums. I have a lot of different cars and subscribe to BMW/Audi/Miata/Porsche/MINI/MG forums...not to mention a couple of travel forums. I've seen traffic dive sharply in the last few years, and I've seen tons more groups on Facebook. I don't think you can read much about the health of the club from activity on this page.

So now let me contradict myself by saying that I think the club experience is trailing off as well. Part of any car club is knowledge exchange, which is less important that 30 seconds and few clicks finds you video instructions on anything from repairing your Rolex to diagnosing appendicitis. I've let my Nutmeg membership lapse as I'm drawn in several other directions, but it was the tech days that first drew me to the club. So maybe the forums are the canary in the coal mine; maybe club membership will follow forum activity. I was just at a VW meet, which was kinda cool, but the majority of the cars there would not respond well to be driven in anger (read: slammed/stanced/both). If all you intend to do is look at your car and others, you can do that from your living room couch without enduring 45 minutes of tire rub to sit in a parking lot.

The clubs that survive will have a varied experience and will be hands-on for both wrenches and steering wheels. HPDE, autocross, tech days, regular social activities. And if you want people to show up to those activities, don't forget to post them up on Facebook. :-/

Tom
NEQ Audi Club Pres 2017
NEQlub.org
QuattroGuy

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

1996 Montego Blue
1999 Miata SSB
2008 Galaxy Grey PRHT
1980 VW Scirocco
2000 BMW M Roadster
1999 BMW M Coupe
2003 Audi S8
2014 A6 Q 2.0
2007 911 C4
2003 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Dodge Dakota
QuattroGuy

Postby dlmphoto » November 27th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Tom- "hands-on for both wrenches and steering wheels"
⬆️ This.
My feelings exactly. Thank you for your input. Couldn't have said it better myself. Local club=real life.
Dave
dlmphoto

Postby PeteD » November 27th, 2017, 8:06 pm

QuattroGuy wrote:The clubs that survive will have a varied experience and will be hands-on for both wrenches and steering wheels. HPDE, autocross, tech days, regular social activities.

Absolutely! This is one of the things that I've liked about our club: the variety of demographics & activities. Not all were for me, but something for everyone.
-- Pete

PeteD

Return to Nutmeg Talk