Guest Announcements

Happy Holidays

Snows are on.

General problems and repair

Snows are on.

Postby QuattroGuy » November 26th, 2017, 7:52 pm

First year running the Miata during the snow. Hoping to do at least one Winter Driving School in it. I'm running used Blizzaks from Craigslist, which have one good season left and one white knuckle season left. If I like driving it in the winter, I'll probably buy new snows next year. The snows are already on (due to some scheduling issues, and it's kinda weird having the snows on and the top down. I also have to remind myself not to chuck the car into corners; holy tread scrim, Batman!

Other than checking fluids, any other winter prep advice?
QuattroGuy

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

1996 Montego Blue
1999 Miata SSB
2008 Galaxy Grey PRHT
1980 VW Scirocco
2000 BMW M Roadster
1999 BMW M Coupe
2003 Audi S8
2014 A6 Q 2.0
2007 911 C4
2003 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Dodge Dakota
QuattroGuy

Re: Snows are on.

Postby markbaker » November 29th, 2017, 2:25 pm

I drove my NA through three winters whilst I lived in Switzerland. I had no choice as this was my primary car. Granted, they take better care of their roads than here in the NE - including better treatment and clearing. But there were times I was the first to drive out of the village where I lived and would beat the snow plow as I would start my monthly drive to Munich. My front R trim is still a little beaten up.

I ran a European spec Goodyear snow tire on standard size Mazda Rims from a Mazda 3 IIRC. Still have the rims somewhere. They were lite and sturdy wheels. Given some common sense, I found the Miata to be quite good in the snow. I kept a few weights in the trunk and ran with the hardtop for a more snug feeling. Driving was fine as long as I was sensible. That’s the key. Sure - I admit it was fun to get sideways from time to time....

I had to keep the car clean though. I would power wash it every week. We were fortunate to have hot power washes all through the area. I would pay attention to the wheel arches and sills/rockers and everything underneath. A good coat of wax got me through the winter and a good coating for protection in the wheel arches always helped. I used a Griot Paint Sealent one time that I recall was particularly hard wearing and stood up well to the winter muck on the painted surfaces. They may still sell it. But I would recommend a good coating now before it gets too cold. I did not have a garage, so the car stayed out all year round. I used a liberal coating of BMW Gummi Plege on all the rubber seals around the doors and windows.

Winter driving was helped most be the Hella H4 lights. I had to have these instead of the US standard sealed units that were illegal in Switzerland. They were invaluable for the longer winter nights...

I run Blizzaks on my BMW E39. They are a good tire, but I find they get noisy after a season or two. Sounds like a wheel bearing is going out. NEXEN was hopeless. Nokian was great, but doubt they do a size for the Miata. Worth checking though.

Safe driving.

Mark B
97 NA, Classic Red.
99 NB, 10AE
markbaker

Re: Snows are on.

Postby QuattroGuy » November 29th, 2017, 9:25 pm

I think you are right about the cleaning...especially with the crap they use here now. Makes me remember salt with fondness.

I'm not a huge Blizzak fan, but this set was $225 on Craigslist, so I was hard to say no. Used one season. On the Audi, I've be running General Artic Altimax, which I like a lot. Next time.
QuattroGuy

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

1996 Montego Blue
1999 Miata SSB
2008 Galaxy Grey PRHT
1980 VW Scirocco
2000 BMW M Roadster
1999 BMW M Coupe
2003 Audi S8
2014 A6 Q 2.0
2007 911 C4
2003 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Dodge Dakota
QuattroGuy