Guest Announcements

Spring Run - April 28th
Tech Day - May 12th

Replacing top on '97 M Edition

General problems and repair

Replacing top on '97 M Edition

Postby tatertom » April 7th, 2018, 11:07 am

I am Replacing my top on '97 M Edition which is all original barring the radio. Should I go with a direct replacement of the original...

https://mossmiata.com/1990-1997-miata/t ... by-robbins

...a seamless zipper-less sleeker design...

...or a panorama window...

My initial instinct is to go original but I like the improved aspects of the other two, which are slightly cheaper. The Miata has just under 1000,000 miles and has the matching hard-top, dark green with tan convertible top and interior. I know it's down to preference but I'd like to hear the opinion of club members...Thanks!!!
tatertom

Re: Replacing top on '97 M Edition

Postby Meierznutz » April 9th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I have replaced 75 tops now. My 2% is that if you have decided to use a Robbins top then you are on the right track. I have used many tops in the past and some are better than others. Most people are concerned about getting the original "Hartz Vinyl". That is just the pattern stamped into the material. It is the way the material is cut and sewn/bonded that makes a good top.
I like to think of tops as cotton swabs. Anyone can make a cotton swab but there is only one Q-tip. In the world of tops there is only one Robbins and Robbins tops fit because they make sure they fit.
If you need your new top installed I would be happy to. If you need advice, I'd be happy to pass on some tips. I have a couple scheduled for the next few weekends so feel free to contact me.
Either way, best of luck!
"In terms of power to weight, I don't want a SUPERCAR, I want a STUPID-CAR!"

Meier's Drop & Run Saloon and Auto Repair is open. Feel free to stop in.
Meierznutz

Postby markbaker » April 15th, 2018, 1:07 pm

After 20 years service, I finally cracked and bought a new Robbins top last year that Chris M expertly installed in August. Robbins tops are top notch as Chris has said. I went for a zipperless glass window version and have been very happy with the glass window upgrade for top up driving. If you drive your car year round, I am sure you will appreciate the glass window over a plastic one.

One snag I did face, post install, was with the zipperless design. I now have to remove my Oris Windstop first before putting the top up or down as the glass window will not bend around the back side. Maybe a zippered version would have even better - I’m not sure. Eitherway, happy with the top and Chris made short work of the install, having the right tools and knowledge from previous tops. Can’t recall which number I was...

Thanks

MB
97 NA, Classic Red.
99 NB, 10AE
markbaker

Postby rleclerc » April 15th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Happen to notice this and wanted to add...

First off Robbins is the best hands down, I got the cheap one in their line and it's been great. With that said the glass window over the plastic 100%! I cannot use my top in the very cold or it will cost me dearly, plastic in general is brittle when cold and will break if you want to open/close below 45 or so. If I had to do it over I'd get the glass.
Secondly Chris did my top as well, maybe 4 years ago now and he did a great job! The person I'd recommend if anyone needed a top installed!
rleclerc

Postby JDM3380 » April 16th, 2018, 7:00 pm

I also need a top and was looking to get one installed I am new to the club, and was told I need to wait before I can get one installed by you. If so that's fine I'm willing to pay for a good top and have you install it. How much would something like that cost me. I have a 99ae with defrost. I have about 3 rips in my tip now. I'm trying to get to a meeting just hard for me at the moment. Family stuff has to come first.

Meierznutz wrote:I have replaced 75 tops now. My 2% is that if you have decided to use a Robbins top then you are on the right track. I have used many tops in the past and some are better than others. Most people are concerned about getting the original "Hartz Vinyl". That is just the pattern stamped into the material. It is the way the material is cut and sewn/bonded that makes a good top.
I like to think of tops as cotton swabs. Anyone can make a cotton swab but there is only one Q-tip. In the world of tops there is only one Robbins and Robbins tops fit because they make sure they fit.
If you need your new top installed I would be happy to. If you need advice, I'd be happy to pass on some tips. I have a couple scheduled for the next few weekends so feel free to contact me.
Either way, best of luck!
JDM3380

Return to Tinkering