Guest Announcements

November 14th - Monthly Meeting

1.8 Header Recommended

Performance modifications

1.8 Header Recommended

Postby carcrazy85 » February 24th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I am looking at getting a Racing Beat head for my 1.8 swap. I then came across the OBX header (ebay brand) for $175. I have heard stories of ebay headers not fitting right the first time. I try to avoid anything from ebay. I found the OBX header on http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/h9018s.html . Thats the link to that header. Does anyone have experience with OBX. I also came across Raceland header http://www.racelandus.com/exhaust-heade ... eader.html . How would OBX or Raceland comepare to Racing beat or is there no comparison.
carcrazy85

Re: 1.8 Header Recommended

Postby 3rd Pedal » February 24th, 2013, 2:49 pm

I have the Raceland header for the 1.6.
The fit was excellent. Install went with out any problems. The finish and welding around the exhaust ports looked real good.
It's been on now for about two years and I've got no complaints.
The most common problems with header fit on the 1.8 engine have more to do with the EGR tube lining up and the header hitting the trans tunnel. These issues have been reported more with the Racing beat header than with the Raceland.
When installing a 1.8 in a 1.6 car, I'm not sure if you will still be using the EGR or not.
As far as the OBX header, I can't offer any advice, but have heard mostly favorable comments.
With any 1.8 header in your car you will need to use the 1.8 cat. I believe that if you use a stock 1.8 header and the 1.6 downpipe you can retain the 1.6 cat, but need to add a O2 sensor bung to the downpipe or header.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=296185

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=376031

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/1.8_conversion.php
3rd Pedal

Postby carcrazy85 » February 24th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Thanks for the input. I dont see why i would needs 1.8 cat. My car doesnt even have a cat. I have a custom straight pipe thats goes from where the cat used to be.
carcrazy85

Postby PeteD » February 24th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Hi Jorge,

How do you not have a CEL running w/o a cat? I don't know of any good reason to run w/o a cat installed, but that's another topic.

I've got a RB 4-1 header on my car. It was installed by the previous owner, so I can't say how much research went into picking it ... but the info on the RB site sounds convincing to me. There was an issue with it clearing the steering-shaft, but that was solved with a small shim behind the drivers-side motor mount.

I've had it on & off the car several times w/o any problem - the thick, continuous flange at the head doesn't warp.

I would definitely recommend adding something to control underhood heat. For the header that would be either (or both!) ceramic coating or TDR Insulated heat shield.
-- Pete

white '94; 140hp & 122ft*lbs NA --> only memories now
red '93; SC'd --> object of affection
PeteD

Postby 3rd Pedal » February 24th, 2013, 5:01 pm

carcrazy85 wrote:Thanks for the input. I dont see why i would needs 1.8 cat. My car doesnt even have a cat. I have a custom straight pipe thats goes from where the cat used to be.

That custom straight pipe is a replacement for the section where the cat was. You would need a new section of custom pipe to match up to the 1.8 header. The NA exhaust systems are all the same from the cat rearward, but different from the cat forward. The length of the cats are different from a 1.6 to a 1.8.

As Pete said, there is literally no gain from running w/o a cat. Tests show at best about a 0.5HP gain by eliminating the cat. The true gain from running w/o a cat is the increase in exhaust noise. :roll:

He would not get a CEL w/o a cat on a OBD1 car, as it doesn't have a second O2 to monitor cat performance. The issue would be passing any required emissions testing, as OBD1 cars usually are tested at the tailpipe if tested at all.
3rd Pedal

Postby carcrazy85 » February 24th, 2013, 9:46 pm

When I bought the miata the 2nd owner had removed the cat to make a custom exhaust. I had to replace that system since it was poorly done. My first intention was to use the Racing Beat connecting pipe that I bought but thats when I found out I needed a cat to use the pipe. So i said just do it fully custom.
carcrazy85

Postby PeteD » February 26th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Hi Jorge,

Here's another thread on miata.net that maybe helpful to you:

Installed my ebay Raceland header today

it seems that the quality is somewhat variable ... some folks report no problems; others need to get more than one to get a good one; most seem to wrestle with the EGR connection.
-- Pete

white '94; 140hp & 122ft*lbs NA --> only memories now
red '93; SC'd --> object of affection
PeteD

Postby bdailey » September 26th, 2017, 7:25 am

PeteD wrote:Hi Jorge,

Here's another thread on miata.net that maybe helpful to you:

Installed my ebay Raceland header today

it seems that the quality is somewhat variable ... some folks report no problems; others need to get more than one to get a good one; most seem to wrestle with the EGR connection.

Good bit of info here for when the time comes to put a header in
bdailey

Postby arathol » September 26th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Ricelands are something to stay away from. Quality is hit or miss, they don't fit well for many people, etc. Racing Beat is the best source if you want an inexpensive, good performing header that will install easily without having to jack up the motor, move or bend stuff out of the way, hammer bends into the pipes to clear other parts etc.

arathol

Return to Tuning