Guest Announcements

November 14th - Monthly Meeting

"Lanny Alignment"

Old information that can be used as a reference....

"Lanny Alignment"

Postby NRZ » April 28th, 2011, 8:19 am

I heard someone say they got one of these on their Miata the other day and it made a nice improvement. I am getting an alignment and oil change tomorrow and figured I would see if this is something I would want on my car as well. I saw the spec's on m.net and posted them below for future searches. My main question is, and it's important to me, will my tires wear faster due a slightly incressed camber number? I want my new tires to last forever...

Thanks as always.

Miq's Miata.net Alignment
FRONT
Caster +4.7 to +5.5 (what ever the maximum attained is)
Camber -0.6 to -0.8 (this number varies with the caster)
Toe 1/16" per side, or 1/8" _total toe out_

REAR
Caster not applicable, there is no adjustment possible
Camber -1.1
Toe 1/16" per side, or 1/8" _total toe in_ or zero

Factory recommended alignment
FRONT
Caster +4.43° +/- 0.75
Camber 0.4° +/- 0.75
Toe 1/8" +/- 1/8

REAR
Caster not applicable, there is no adjustment possible
Camber -0.72° +/- 0.5
Toe 1/8" +/- 1/8"
Nick

1996 White MX-5
1996 Red MX-5 (Sisters car)
NRZ

Re: "Lanny Alignment"

Postby 3miataFamily » April 28th, 2011, 9:17 am

those tires will not last forever..we all know that..

Frequent tire rotations will even out the wear..and if they are directional, swapping sides will even it out even better..but that requires a dismount and re-mount..and we all know that this kind of thing costs $$$

You really should not have excessive wear with this alignment...
3miataFamily

Postby NRZ » April 28th, 2011, 1:20 pm

You mean 180 treadwear tires won't last 75,000 miles??? I was tricked!! I know they won't last forever but I just don't want to wear the insides faster because I can not mount them on different sides (a set inside/outside). Thanks again.
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Postby markbaker » April 28th, 2011, 2:33 pm

I posted a few weeks ago about getting the alignment to these specs. To begin with, the shop did not want to do it to these specs because of the potential tire wear issues you mentioned. I said I was aware of this, but go ahead anyway please. They did and I have been happy thus far.
97 NA, Classic Red.
99 NB, 10AE
markbaker

Postby markbaker » April 28th, 2011, 2:47 pm

I posted a few weeks ago about getting the 'Lanny Alignment' to my car. To begin with, the shop did not want to do it to these specs because of the potential tire wear issues you mentioned. I said I was aware of this, but go ahead anyway please. They did and I have been happy thus far with the drive. Rotating front/rear will help a little.

BTW - I think what you have posted is not the Lanny Alignment specs as mentioned in the title of the post. You have Miq Millmans I think. Here they are the ones I used:

http://users.telenet.be/miata/english/s ... _lanny.htm

Rear
Toe: 1/32 inch (0°4.5' or 0.075°) IN per side
Camber: -1.5 degrees

Front
Camber: -1.0 degrees
Caster: 4.5 degrees
Toe: 1/32 inch IN per side

I have never tried the two set ups back to back, so can not say much to the subtle differences. I read other forum posts on what is best for Auto X and street. I went with this based on what people were reporting on the street setup. Its all academic anyway, as with the state of the roads around here, you will be back to the shop to reset the alignment and wheel balance in a few months anyway... You will have an opportunity to try something different then! :lol:
97 NA, Classic Red.
99 NB, 10AE
markbaker

Postby NRZ » April 28th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Thanks Mark. I knew I saw it somewhere that someone did it! I'll review some more tonight.
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Postby NRZ » April 28th, 2011, 3:51 pm

Found this on a website. I'm so confused.

My Specs
FRONT:
Castor - +4.2/4.3degrees L/R (manual rack)
Camber - -1.5 degrees
Toe - out 1/16" per side

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REAR:
Camber - -1.9 degrees
Toe - in 1/32" per side

AGGRESSIVE STREET & AUTO-X
(Icehawk's Specs)
FRONT:
Castor - MAXIMUM
Camber - -1.5 degrees
Toe - out 1/16" per side

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REAR:
Camber - -2.0 degrees
Toe - in 1/16" per side

STREET(Lanny's Specs)
FRONT:
Castor - +5.0 degrees(power rack)
(less for manual)
Camber - -1.2 degrees
Toe - IN 1/32" per side

REAR:
Camber - -1.75 degrees
Toe - IN 1/32" per side

Factory Specs
FRONT:
Castor - +4.43 degrees +/- 0.75
Camber - -0.4 degrees +/- 0.75
Toe - 1/8" +/- 1/8"

REAR:
Camber - -0.72 degrees +/- 0.5
Toe - in 1/8" +/- 1/8"
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Postby NRZ » April 28th, 2011, 4:00 pm

And the Flying Miata alignment (which I think is what I'm going to go with).

Front
Caster: 5.0 degrees
Camber: 1.0 degrees negative
Toe-in: 1/16" or 9 minutes total (1/32" or 4.5 minutes per side)

Rear
Camber: 1.5 degrees negative
Toe-in: 1/16" or 9 minutes total (1/32" or 4.5 minutes per side)
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Postby 3rd Pedal » April 28th, 2011, 4:15 pm

When I had my alignment done last year I printed out the page for the Lanny Alignment from mnet http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html ( He covers with an explanation of how it arrived at the specs, how they effect wear and response. )
and discussed it with the tech when I made the appointment.
The camber in the Lanny alignment isn't severe enough to be concerned about excessive wear. They had to take rear camber out on mine to get to the numbers requested.
To much toe in or out will cause more wear across the tread vs the inner shoulder from camber.
What ever numbers you ask for, the most important request is to get both sides the same.

Short version of Lanny specs.

Rear Camber -1.75 Toe in 1/32

Front Camber - 1.2 Caster 5 Toe in 1/32
3rd Pedal

Postby 3rd Pedal » April 28th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Lanny discussed why he went from -1.0 front camber to -1.2, and the camber bias front to rear.
He doesn't discuss if or how optional tire sizes, or wheel size or offset factor in.
I don't see a problem going with either set of specs. Read, digest the info, then decide.
If you don't like the results, the alignment can always be changed.
3rd Pedal

Postby Brent » April 28th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Lanny Alignment is a good one based on my experience... :mrgreen:
94 M Edition
Brent

Postby Harvey » April 29th, 2011, 2:45 pm

The Lanny Alignment is pretty tame overall. You won't wear that much more. And if you drive the car enough that it makes a difference how much wear you get on your tires then don't get the Lanny Alignment and just get a regular alignment.
Harvey

Postby NRZ » April 30th, 2011, 3:35 pm

I attempted the alignment on friday. Something seems to be up with the front end because they couldn't get the front camber past 0.1 on both sides. Previous numbers were front left camber @ -1.3 and right front camber @ +2.0!!!! After a quick talk with John he mentioned if they bring the caster down a bit then I can get to the camber number, so the shop will be attempting it again on Monday, maybe Tuesday. Updates to follow.

PS - the 0.1 front camber and corrected rear does make the new wheels and tires look a little bit better too!! Bonus!
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Postby 3rd Pedal » April 30th, 2011, 3:40 pm

The Lanny alignment page talks about setting the specs in a specific secquence. Pretty sure it makes a differance.
3rd Pedal

Postby NRZ » April 30th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Thanks, I'll tell them that when I bring it back. Camber first, caster second.
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Postby 3rd Pedal » April 30th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Just print out the page and give it to them.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Rear
Toe: 1/32 inch (0°4.5' or 0.075°) IN per side
Camber: -1.75 degrees

Front
Camber: -1.2 degrees
Caster: 5.0 degrees
Toe: 1/32 inch IN per side

The parameters are listed in the order they should be set, starting with rear toe, which may constrain the other settings but is the single most important parameter for safe, predictable handling

Nick, did they have any trouble with the alignment bolts? I know Mazda has a new revised adjustment bolt. Not sure what benefits they provide. The only one that I can remember right now, is that they can be inserted in two different positions, 180* apart.

For reference,
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/st ... 328&page=1

Where I shop,
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
NAY9286AZ $10.14 $0.00 $6.99
3rd Pedal

Postby NRZ » April 30th, 2011, 6:57 pm

I'm going to bring them the bible on Monday with all this good stuff! Thanks again.
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Postby NRZ » May 3rd, 2011, 10:52 am

I picked up the car this morning and spoke with the tech who aligned it. They were working on it for a couple hours with a few of the Mazda guys as well (I bring it in through Volvo where I worked before for a little discount) on Monday and weren't fully able to hit the marks I asked for.

I am taking this all in while trying to finish a quarter close at work so stick with me on this one. First on Friday there was an issue with the rear not being able to be met due a possible bend in a suspension component or shock but it seems that was because of an issue with the alignment rack. Now that the rack is fixed the rear should be perfect and the front seems to be half way there in the front. I am still not sure of the numbers (they are in the car I had to get to work) but I know the front is at -0.7 left and right and caster was around +2.xx. I noticed a pull to the left on the way to work but it was only a 1.5 mile job so I'll examine that in the next few days.

I really wish I just left it alone or just went to stock. Nothing ever goes right when I mess with alignments which is probably why I never did it on any of my other cars (not true). And I respect and know every tech in the building, these are not fly by night guys, all have spent considerable time in the industry (10 years plus for everyone there) and the Mazda guys are pushing 20+ years!

Sorry for complaining!
Nick

1996 White MX-5
NRZ

Return to Best of NMC