Guest Announcements

Happy Holidays

New Member from CT

If this is your first time here then please check this forum for important information. New members please feel free to say hello!!

How to "fix" an airbag light that stays on

order a new airbag control module
No votes
have your airbag control module refurbish
No votes
put a photo over the light on your instrument cluster
100%
remove the light bulb to the airbag warning light
No votes
disable the airbag warning light
No votes
some other option
No votes

Total votes : 1

New Member from CT

Postby bdailey » September 25th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Hello my name is Brian. I just bought my first Miata and promptly joined this forum. I owned a Triumph Spitfire for some time, and just sold that to move into the Miata world. My initial thoughts are that I made a great decision in doing so. The car is a very nice fit for my driving habits, as well as the amount of time I have to dedicate to the car in general. British car maintenance is a legit labor of love.

That said since picking the car up on Saturday I have already fixed a stuck passenger side seat belt, and am looking into my airbag light issue. Please see my poll below as I am trying to get a feel for how folks typically deal with this particular issue. I am not new to cars but definitely new to Miata, so any insight is greatly appreciated!

Other than that a nice tune up / service should be all that is needed. The car already drives very nice, looking forward to getting back in it.
bdailey

Re: New Member from CT

Postby GrahamC » September 25th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Welcome Brian, we have a great tech session and monthly meeting coming up in October. Scott & Rita's is a great venue on a nice cul-de-sac lots of parking and the Dent Wizard will be thee as well, any other needs or tech help please let us know before the event. Welcome to the Club :dancingparty:
GrahamC

Postby arathol » September 25th, 2017, 11:35 pm

What year is the car? It seems as if almost every year has different airbag components and issues that go with them. Some are repairable, some not within reason. Sometimes its better just to yank out the steering wheel and airbag and replace it with a nice wood wheel. Chances are that airbag isn't ever going to work anyhow, so why not?

arathol

Postby bdailey » September 26th, 2017, 5:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. Car is a 1996, and I understand the airbag module is up under the dash pretty deep.

I would love to replace the steering wheel and just disable the airbag. Would that still involve having a functioning horn? And I really want the light to be off
bdailey

Postby arathol » September 26th, 2017, 2:37 pm

bdailey wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Car is a 1996, and I understand the airbag module is up under the dash pretty deep.

I would love to replace the steering wheel and just disable the airbag. Would that still involve having a functioning horn? And I really want the light to be off

Yeah, you pretty much have to remove everything to get to it. Better off just disabling it and be done with it. The horn has nothing to do with the airbag. As long as you do the swap right and the new wheel has a horn button the horn works fine.
Here are a couple posts from miata.net to get you started:
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.p ... rbag+light

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.p ... rbag+light
arathol

Return to Welcome to the Nutmeg Miata Club