Guest Announcements

Monthly Meeting - March 13th

Hello...

If this is your first time here then please check this forum for important information. New members please feel free to say hello!!

Hello...

Postby TDM_NMC » January 27th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Hi All-
New-ish member Tom here, saying hello. While I'm new as a member, I'm not totally unfamiliar with the club, as long time members Rita and Scott are my Mom and Stepdad. I also visited one or two of the tech days last year before turning in my application at the end of the season.

I remember back when the Miata was released in the US, and the frenzy started with long wait-lists and people paying well over sticker, a car-guy friend of mine and I were talking about it, and he commented how when we were both "old" ;] , "post-kids", etc., these cars were hopefully going to be out there in the marketplace to buy used, and how great that was going to be. That always stuck with me... He really nailed it.

I've always been really into the Miatas that Rita and Scott have owned, and they had even let me borrow them a couple times over the years. I always thought maybe "someday...". A couple years ago our family needed to buy a cheap used car, so I started doing a bunch of Googling "best cheap used cars under $5000". It surprised me that the Miata was high on every one of these lists. We ended up getting a decent old, high-milage Camry, since our family really needed an automatic, 4-door, 5-passenger all-family car at that time, but the feasibility of owning a cheap Miata was stuck in my mind.

Last spring a large animal jumped the center barrier in front of me on the Merritt Parkway on the way to work early one morning. The damage was extensive enough and the value of the Camry was low enough that the car was totalled. My search for another cheap car began, this time mainly as my daily commuter car. My wife and I talked about maybe another Camry, but I secretly started searching craigslist for Miatas too, thinking maybe this was the time... ;]

After a little convincing of my wife that a 2-seat convertible would be "practical" as a commuter car, my full-on search for a Miata began. After looking at a few that weren't good fits, I was the first caller on a '96 red base model in Naugatuck with 103K miles in decent shape and not messed with. After a quick look-over by myself and Scott, $2500 changed hands and I was the proud owner of a Miata. Since then, it's been my year-round daily driver from Norwalk to White Plains every day.

I'm looking forward to participating in as many club events as possible this year... especially the tech days, since my goal is to do as much of the work on this car myself as I can. I haven't had to do much "wrenching" to keep a car on the road since my old Subarus in high school, so will appreciate drawing on the knowledge in the club. I've already done a bunch of basic maintenance stuff, as well as unplanned new calipers / pads / rotors all around (2 of my 4 calipers froze, a couple weeks apart). On my short list are bolting on a new exhaust / muffler I received for Christmas (old one stated rotting out), replacing timing belt / water pump, replacing the transmission and differential fluids, replacing all the hoses, and diagnosing the non-working A/C.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you all this season.
-Tom

(By the way, do we have any other members in the Norwalk area?)

IMG_5307_compressed_reduced.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TDM_NMC

Re: Hello...

Postby 3rd Pedal » January 27th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Welcome o the Club. :welcomesign:
3rd Pedal

Postby MsBMW72 » January 29th, 2018, 8:27 am

Welcome to "our world", Tom! You have come a long way from that bicycle I saw you riding some 30 years ago. The club's 2018 calendar will be coming out soon and you will have lots of varied opportunities from which to choose aside from the tech sessions and those other events will go a long to show Nicole that your "little convincing" may have opened up another socializing circle for you two!

Jackie
MsBMW72

Postby TDM_NMC » January 29th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Too true! Thanks Jackie!
TDM_NMC

Return to Welcome to the Nutmeg Miata Club